Five nuggets gleaned from THE LONE RANGER press conference:
1. Johnny Depp said that the film was trying to show what crimes were being committed towards Native Americans as progress moved westward, and flipping the cliché of savages.
2. Depp said his greatest inspiration was Marlon Brando, who was probably the greatest influence of actors from 1948 onwards.
3. On PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN, Depp said they were so close to firing him they could taste it. He told an executive they could, but would have to pay him for his time.
4. Depp stated Tonto had to be taken seriously as a warrior. He couldn’t turn up skinny.
5. The executive producer credit was a beautiful gesture from producer Jerry Bruckheimer, said Depp. They were all in it from the very beginning. Bruckheimer added that Johnny brings so much creativity to the process, putting layers onto script and story.