Stars Sylvester Stallone, Antonio Banderas, Kellan Lutz, Jason Statham and Wesley Snipes, and producer Avi Lerner, came on Monday to discuss THE EXPENDABLES 3. Seven things we learned:
- Stallone observes that Harrison Ford is a minimalist, and he thought he was eating him up on camera, and then saw the dailies and realised, “You’ve been swallowed Sly.”
- Stallone states they wanted to reach a broader audience, so dropped the rating. BOURNE and BOND are pretty graphic. The DVD should have extra frames. Also, if too violent would diminish the humour.
- Banderas says he brought comedy – he is a weapon of mass destruction of talking. When seeing his fellow actors roll their eyes, he knew he had something.
- Snipes has been waiting to work with Stallone since DEMOLITION MAN. “You’ve been busy, I’ve been busy,” he quips. Sylvester jokes about writing ESCAPE FROM ALCATRAZ 2 for Wesley. Snipes mentions that his hair fell out during DEMOLITION MAN due to the blonde dye.
- Of Ronda Rousey, Stallone observes she is a new kind of entertainer. She can tie you into a knot and re-tie you.
- Favourite career stunts:
- Stallone – ROCKY IV – The climactic fight with Dolph Lundgren; is one long stunt over 15 rounds that took six months.
- Statham – CRANK – Fight on a skyscraper near a helicopter.
- Lerner jokes about wanting 27 EXPENDABLE movies, but there will probably be another two or three. Stallone wants franchise spin-offs like THE AVENGERS, e.g. Banderas with “The Expendabelles”; or in a divorce with Sigourney Weaver, she gets half the money and half the Expendables. Lerner mentions that “The Expendabelles” is starting next year.