Eight things I learnt from the STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS press conference:
1. Benedict Cumberbatch says of his character, John Harrison, that you should be able to go from abhorring to feeling for him.
2. It was writer-producer Damon Lindelof who recommended to director J.J. Abrams to watch SHERLOCK for Cumberbatch, who, famously, recorded his audition tape on an iPhone. Everyone walked a little taller on set when he was around.
3. Zoe Saldana found out she got the part when on the set of AVATAR. James Cameron told her there was a surprise, it was Abrams visiting.
4. Asked if they had “liberated” anything from the set as a memento, Simon Pegg said he took a brass Starfleet badge; Chris Pine a leather jacket from the first film; and Zazhary Quinto a couple of pairs of Spock ears, including one with green Vulcan blood on it.
5. Pegg stated that Scotty would vote for Scottish independence. The country has been predominantly Labour, while languishing under the Tories.
6. Asked about what he most liked about Spock, Quinto listed the following traits about his character: Compassion, faith in humanity, being measured, and true to himself.
7. Cumberbatch needed to bulk up and be physically fitter, and was trained by the same man who trained Tom Hardy.
8. The inevitable STAR WARS question. What J.J. Abrams loves about that film: Visceral energy, innocence and big heartedness.