BLADE - THE DARK KNIGHT TRILOGY - MAN OF STEEL writer David S. Goyer talking about his career yesterday.
Five things I learnt:
1. Goyer had an agent at 20, sold a screenplay at 21, and a film in production at 22. Through confidence and perseverance.
2. The three film franchises he has worked on (see above), had no creative interference.
3. Goyer says producer Jerry Bruckheimer is right: "Television won". Re the war with cinema.
4. On the Batman films, director Christopher Nolan trusted him to know canon, and how far they could depart and change. Goyer had 10 sticky things for The Dark Knight and Man of Steel films that had emerged over decades, he discovered, that could not be changed.
5. He doesn't believe in rules outside the narrative of the film, e.g. Superman doesn't kill.