On Sunday 8th May, at the press conference for ALICE THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS, five things we learned:
1. Sacha Baron Cohen, continues his jibe from GRIMSBY, saying his character, Time, is a narcissist ill-suited to a most important job, like Donald Trump. He says that Time is Germanic, Bavariany, overly pompous in a very emphatic way, everything is crucial even though nonsense.
2. Producer Suzanne Todd stated it took a long time to develop the script after the first film. Once we see the film, she suggests we will probably think about how we spend our time.
3. Producer Tim Burton agreed to hiring director James Bobin because he liked the latter’s take and energy. Bobin recounted how Burton gave very helpful advice to shoot on blue screen, rather than green, otherwise he would go crazy.
4. Johnny Depp observes how music is his first love since the age of 12, still is, and he still plays. He thought the dream was over because is known for one medium. His band, the ‘Hollywood Vampires’, has made the dream a reality. Depp is not interested in being a front man. Depp surprisingly states he is not a big movie watcher.
5. The session ended with Depp jokingly apologising for not smuggling his dogs into England.